About Me

My photo
Perth, WA, Australia

Monday 17 May 2010

VeganEra - NEWS/Health & Wellness

Hey guys,My name is Jess and I’m new here, so please be kind. The lovely Vegan Era people have asked me to join them as their wellness writer. It’s kind of intimidating being the newbie. There’s all that angst wondering ‘Will they like me?’ Will they call me names?‘Will they pull my hair and giveme wedgies?’But then I remembered that this is nothing like being the new kid in school.This is Vegan Era – a place where everyone practices love, peace and kindness. So now that I’ve gotten over my first-post jitters I am totally amped to be contributing to this awesome site.Once a week I will be getting all preachy about natural health and wellness – a subject I am incredibly passionate about.Living a healthy lifestyle is not something I do just for kicks; it’s something that keeps me kicking.Almost two years ago I was diagnosed with a very aggressive, rare form of cancer called Epithelioid Sarcoma, which is in my left hand and arm. After having a high dose of chemo pumped through my arm following scans showed I was clear of cancer. Little did I know it would come back, not even a year after going into remission.After being told by doctors that my only real chance of long-term survival would be to have my arm amputated at the shoulder I decided to take matters into my own hands (excuse the pun). I politely refused their offers of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation and began searching for natural, alternative cancer treatments. The way I saw it I had two choices. I could rely on the slash, poison and burn method offered to me by the medical profession and become stuck in the ‘cancer patient’ category for who knows how long, or I could take responsibility for my illness and bring my body to optimum health so that it can heal itself. For me it was an easy decision. Chemo and radiation do not have great success on the type of cancer I have, and there is no way I’m going to let them cut my arm off.I quit my magazine job in Sydney, swapping a lifestyle of back-to-back parties for one of relaxation and meditation. Ditching a diet that consisted mostly of champagne, canapés and late night Lean Cuisine I became a carrot juice guzzling, lentil-loving vegan.I packed up and moved back to the Sunshine Coast to live with my family and began devoting all my time and energy to restoring my health. I am now all about cleansing, detoxing and nourishing my body with delicious organic, vegan wholefood – the recipe for my new wholesome existence.I will be coming at you each week to share musings from my healing journey. I hope you are able to get something out of my posts.Until next week, happy healing!Jess x
VeganEra - NEWS/Health & Wellness

No comments: